Saturday, June 25, 2011

just to get close to

So, I am still going to do this Q&A post (I should know, by now, to never say that I am going to do something on a certain day) but it's all taking a little longer to get together than I'd thought. I am trying to go through as many of the emails, I've received in the past, to gather the questions. It WILL happen in the next couple of days.

Leading up to my exhibition I went through a big ol'drawing funk. During that time I couldn't sit down and do one of my trademark, highly laboured, drawings. It just was not happening. I did, however, start this new Moleskine. I bought it specifically for sketching - because I do so little of that. I love drawing SO much that I want to continue learning and improving my skills and that means doing things differently, pushing oneself, from time to time.

In this Moleskine I intend to draw stuff that I wouldn't normally draw. All free hand, no pencils, just ink on paper. I also intend to not get caught up in the whole perfection thing. Here are a few pages from that book. I do feel exposed posting these sort of spreads, but, again, I want to care less about that kind of thing.

12 comments:

Karen Blados said...

I think these spreads are amazing! Almost like puzzles you put together. I think this would be a good way to blow off creative steam and relax. Looking forward to more!

mo said...

i enjoyed these drawings tremendously. they have your signature attention to detail which we all love. and i'm so excited that i found annette's mouse! ;)

Karen Sandstrom said...

Very cool. I'm glad you've created a place where you can do stuff that's counter to your amazing and wonderously detailed illustrations.

Dawn said...

yeah these still are amazing! your "sketching" is light years ahead of my drawing!!

Genine said...

Andrea, These are awesome!! I love to see the unfinishes stuff. As always love your work.

suzanne cabrera said...

Andrea---oddly enough, moss is one of my favorite words too. Had we had a girl, this would've been her middle name :)

LOVE these.

Unknown said...

Your work is so inspiring!It makes me feel like a kid. I so love seeing through your eyes. I wish had your skill of "good" perfection.

nuansa atika said...

I really like your drawings, they're totally beautiful :)
After seeing your blog for the first time a year ago, I have been practising how to draw beautiful shades like those on your drawings.
Thanks for being such a great inspiration :D

T. Roger Thomas said...

These sketches are amazing!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Greetings from Tunisia. I just found your blog. Love your work/play. I look forward to visiting regularly. Thanks for sharing.
best, nadia

dui lawyer arizona said...

Great stuff you have here. I kinda like the creative side of it.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, all folks. I always feel a bit weird posting sketchy stuff, but I might do more from now.

Cheers, my dears.